A tree is a giant funding, so it’s value taking a while to search out precisely the precise tree to your backyard. Earlier than you start buying, it’s a good suggestion to analysis the cultural wants of any bushes you might be contemplating and take into consideration how properly these wants match up with the circumstances at your planting web site. Is the tree well-suited to your area’s local weather? How properly will it adapt to the soil and light-weight circumstances which can be accessible within the spot the place will probably be planted?
Discover the precise planting web site
Discovering the precise planting web site to your new tree can also be essential. The spot you select ought to be at the very least 3 ft away from pavement and fences, and at the very least 15 ft from buildings and different bushes. Bigger bushes want much more house. Conduct a soil fertility check on the web site and, if needed, amend the soil as really helpful earlier than you plant.
Time to plant
Good timing helps too. Early spring or early fall are sometimes glorious occasions for tree planting. If potential, schedule your buying journey or supply for a time when you will get the tree into the bottom quickly after it arrives on web site.
Intently examine bushes on the nursery or backyard heart before you purchase, after which once more when your tree is delivered. If you buy a tree on-line, take away all packing materials as quickly because it arrives and take a detailed look. Usually does the tree seem wholesome? Has it been broken in transit?
Right here’s a guidelines of qualities to search for in a brand new tree:
- A straight trunk with a single, upright, central chief (keep away from bushes with a number of leaders)
- A trunk that is freed from wounds, scars, cracks, or rotten wooden
- Branches which can be properly hooked up and properly spaced (keep away from vegetation with useless or broken branches)
- Leaves which can be properly distributed and the correct measurement and coloration for the species (keep away from vegetation with yellowing, browning, or useless leaves)
- An uncovered root collar, additionally known as a root flare, the place the trunk base naturally widens and connects with the topmost primary roots (keep away from bushes with buried root flares or roots that circle the pot or girdle the trunk)
When you’re in search of bushes with nice fall coloration, listed below are a few of govt editor Danielle Sherry’s favorites.
To study extra about bushes and their care, contact your native Cooperative Extension Service, and test the USDA Forest Service’s Tree Proprietor’s Handbook.
—Thomas J. Mrazik is a horticulturist, a backyard author, and the proprietor of Goodly Gardens in Worcester, Pennsylvania.